Join the #CommonRead
“Ordinary Christians have the Bible available in more forms than ever before but are not reading it, are uninformed about major blocks of it and are consequently falling more easily for unorthodox and unbiblical ideas. Meghan Larissa Good’s accessible, witty and theologically sound introduction to the Bible manages to introduce complex ideas—like translations, hermeneutics and genre—in ways that translate into a deeper desire to read the Bible. The Bible Unwrapped is filled with short, memorable chapters and engaging stories.”
MennoMedia, Mennonite Church USA, and the CommonWord Resource Centre of Mennonite Church Canada are partnering to encourage all Mennonites to read The Bible Unwrapped: Making Sense of Scripture Today, by Meghan Larissa Good.
Many people have questions about Scripture they are too afraid to ask. Drawing from the best of contemporary biblical scholarship and the ancient well of Christian tradition, scholar and preacher Meghan Larissa Good provides answers to those questions. More than that, she demonstrates why the Bible matters and how it can be understood by people today.
The Bible Unwrapped invites readers to faithful reading, communal discernment, and deep and transformative wonder about Scripture.
#CommonRead will take place in Mennonite churches between July 2019 and May 2020.
Resources for study
Free resources have been prepared to make it easier for congregations to dive into The Bible Unwrapped. Follow the links below to find:
- Nine-week study guide, written by Matthew Shedden at Defiance Church in Glenwood Springs, Colorado
- Meghan Larissa Good on why she wrote this book
- Gerald Mast, professor of communication at Bluffton University, on reading the book
- Rod Stafford, pastor at Portland Mennonite, on that congregation’s study of the book
- Jeryl Hollinger, pastor at Mountain View Mennonite, on that congregation’s study of the book
- Book review by Tany Warkentin, pastoral leader of Springridge Mennonite Church
- Book review by Darnell Barkman, pastor of Yarrow United Mennonite Church
In the U.S., call MennoMedia at 800-245-7894 and mention #CommonRead to receive a discount on your order and have any handling fees waived too!
In Canada, call CommonWord at 1-877-846-1593 and mention #CommonRead to receive a discount on your order!